Educational Leadership Network Vision Statement
The Educational Leadership Network is a community of Assistant Professors of Teaching, Associate Professors of Teaching and Professors of Teaching at the University of British Columbia committed to the:
- celebration of educational leadership, innovation and excellence in teaching and learning
- sharing of information, resources, expertise, and ideas within the university community and beyond
- support and promotion of the Educational Leadership stream
We not not a formal UBC group, but rather a community of likeminded individuals akin to a community of practice but with a special interdisciplinary and cross-functional approach specific to UBC.
Activities in Pursuit of Vision
As an organization, we seek to help realize our vision though a combination of events, information dissemination, and gentle advocacy. We seek to:
- promote the exchange of teaching and learning practices across the university and beyond
- facilitate mentorship among colleagues
- host events that showcase teaching and learning, foster professional development, and support engagement with the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning.
What is an Educational Leadership Faculty member at UBC?
At UBC, faculty can be hired in the tenure track in one of two streams. In the Educational Leadership track, tenure is primarily dependent on demonstrating excellence in teaching, service, and educational leadership. Educational leadership encompasses a wide range of contributions beyond one’s course at levels of the department, faculty, institution, or beyond. Once tenure is awarded, Assistant Professors of Teaching are promoted with the title of Associate Professors of Teaching. Demonstrating sustained and outstanding teaching and educational leadership lead to promotion to the rank of Professor of Teaching.
Please consult the following documentation for further information: